It’s been a week since the Trump administration announced its intent to nominate David Porter and Paul Matey to the two current open seats on the Third Circuit. (Both nominations have since happened). There has been substantial media coverage and online commentary of both nominations, especially the more controversial Porter nomination, and in this post I’ve collected the more significant coverage and commentary I’ve seen.
(On Twitter, I’ve been retweeting news and commentary about the nominations and will continue to do so, more frequently than I’ll post here. If you’re on Twitter, I invite you to follow me there: @CA3blog)
Probably the most significant news to date is that PA’s Democratic Senator Bob Casey reportedly has told the White House he will not return his blue slip for Porter. I first saw that tweeted here by Inquirer reporter Jonathan Tamari and here by Zoe Tillman.
- As controversy looms, Trump looks to pack the courts with conservatives, by Dan Merica and Ariane de Vogue for CNN
- Casey, Toomey conflict over Trump judicial appointment to Third Circuit, by Wes Venteicher for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
- Pennsylvania senators split over Trump’s David Porter nomination, by Tracie Mauriello for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Toomey Lauds Nomination of David Porter to Serve on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, by Senator Pat Toomey
- Who is David Porter?, by Carrie Severino for National Review (collecting numerous letters in support)
- Trump Picks Judges – Round 12, by Jonathan Adler for Volokh Conspiracy (“I know David Porter, and expect he will make an excellent judge.”)
- AFP-PA Applauds Porter Nomination, by Americans for Prosperity-Pennsylvania (announcing group’s intent to run digital ads in support, as well as national group’s support for Matey)
- White House Nominates Extreme Judicial Candidate Despite Casey Objections, By Senator Bob Casey
- Grassley Should Not Hold a Hearing for 3rd Circuit Nominee David Porter, by Paul Gordon of People for the American Way
- AFJ: Porter Nomination an “Affront,” by Alliance for Justice
- Judicial nominees should have support of both Pa. senators, letter to the editor by Kadida Kenner of Why Courts Matter PA
- Reject Tea Partier David Porter for Circuit Court Judge, by The Action Network
- Tweets about petitions presented opposing Porter’s nomination here and here.
- Tweet by Obama deputy counsel Christopher Kang here praising Casey for opposing “narrow-minded elitists like David Porter”
- University Hospital Statement Regarding the Nomination of Paul B. Matey to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (press release)
- Trump will name this Christie ally from Jersey to federal judgeship, by Thomas Moriarity for NJ.com
- Tweet by Matt Katz here noting Matey’s role in Bridgegate incident
- Tweet by Kevin Daley here noting Matey’s collaboration with now-Justice Gorsuch in 2005 litigation